Sunday, August 18, 2013

IN SEARCH OF......

 We are newbies at finding huckleberries here.  Amber showed us the ropes last year, so we struck out on our own (did I say struck out?).  We drove along the road to Upper Whitefish Lake, scanning the shrubs.  We found what we thought were hucks, but as I checked my book on plants of the Rockies, I discovered we had picked mostly Serviceberries (aka Saskatoons).  Well, they tasted pretty good, so it wasn't all a failure.  I think there are some huckleberries in there too, we gathered 2 quarts of the things.  Brought them home and froze them til I can find a scrumptious recipe to use them in!

 Luna took the opportunity to sharpen her breath-holding skills in the lake.

The scenery was beautiful, and we drove over Red Meadow Pass, stopped at Polebridge and had a good dinner at Northern Lights Cafe, next to the merc. 

No comments: